Saturday, December 22, 2012

Unit 7

I sat and tried this meditation last week and I couldn’t focus properly. When asked to focus on someone wise who has passed my first thought was of Phyllis. Phyllis was a client of mine; I had been doing her manicures every two weeks for the past 13 years. She passed in July at the age of 85, I still cry when I think of her, she was a mentor to me, she was resilient, she was outrageously intelligent, she lived life to the fullest and didn’t take any BS from anyone, you never asked her opinion if you really didn’t want to hear the truth, but most of all she was full of love. I think of her almost every day and I miss her terribly. So, I try again knowing what emotions may come to surface. It wasn’t any easier on the second try but I knew what to expect as far as my emotions so I was able to control them a little bit more. It was nice to focus on Phyllis and to see her as if she was here with me and just know that through this meditation I could seek her out somehow, and yes I can realize now that all I strive to be more like her I am. "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" this is a great quote and I completely believe it to be true. How can one preach/ suggest/ teach something they themselves don’t practice or believe in? In becoming part of the nutrition field I need to be able to say to my clients this is how you should eat and also know that I can back up my suggestions because I also follow the same guidelines. I have been trying very hard recently to incorporate psychological and spiritual growth into my life. I feel more at peace with myself and definitely less reactive when something upsets me, of course we all have minor setbacks at times. This is when I realize I need to refocus my energy into what is positive for my own personal growth.

10 comments:

  1. Hello there Jen, I hope that you are having a wonderful time with your family and loved ones this holiday season. I must say that your blog is well stated and I enjoyed the reading. I also understand how you weren’t able to really focus properly, because I believe the beginning of the exercise was a bit rough for an introduction with two different instructors (one male and one female). I’m also sorry to hear that your client has passed away. I too had a client (Joseph) passed away but that was last year in July; I was her driver for three years Monday’s through Friday’s. In what ways do you believe that this exercise helps in a situation such as losing a client, friend, or loved one? Wonderful blog Jen have a safe and Merry Christmas~

    *Lee~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your efforts are paying off keep up the good work! I think all of us have had a hard time focusing on the exercises each week, probably because this is an extremely chaotic and stressful time of year! I hope that with this short little break you get to enjoy the time off! I have a packed full work schedule for our week off from school because they just let go all of the seasonal workers so there is no rest for me except maybe 4-6 hours of sleep each night this next week. I think the only thing that has been getting me through this season is my gym, the hour by hour day by day weekly schedules I have to make each week to know which direction I am going and what day it is, and just telling myself it is almost over and I can do it! I am terribly sorry about your loss, my condolences. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the hard time paying off @Natasha ^ I think that you should try and sleep more we all know (from class) how important sleep is!!! I think that the holidays has been a great time for me to try and practice all that we have learned from the class however, I feel like I am struggling. Any suggestions on how I can improve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jennifer, how goes it this week? Still struggling? or have you found a balance?

      Delete
  4. How lovely to have had someone like Phyllis in your life. I think as a nation we do not fully understand the wisdom and experiences that we can get from older people. I also understand the difficulty that you had trying to concentrate and not letting other thoughts creep into your mind as you were trying to meditate. I try to do some deep breathing before I start and it really seems to help my concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phyllis sounds like she was an amazing lady! I would be honored to have known someone like that :) I remember my great-grandmother when I was little telling me about coming over to California in covered wagons when she was a little girl. Her family was migrant cotton pickers. She was an amazing lady. She passed away in the early 90s at the age of 98 and she was a sharp as a tool even at that age. She had so many amazing stories.
    I have been practicing meditation for a few years now and it does get easier the more you practice to concentrate. I still have times when my mind will just refuse to shut down though and then it takes me a while to focus on the practices.
    Take Care
    ~Dani~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, It's bittersweet to remember someone who has left a mark in our life and hearts. She sounds amazing. I have to admit, my first try was my mother and I could not do it, I cried so much. I chose someone who was still alive. That helped a lot though it was hard to stay focused.
    I'm so happy to hear you are making progress keep working on it. Each day is a new day. Happy New Year.
    Sarajane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want you to know that your blog was very sweet and it sounsd like she meant a great deal to you. I struggle every day with the loss of loved ones. I wish it got easier but it never seems to. Try to keep your head high and remember all the wonderful things she taught you. Our lives are a journey into the unknown and it scares me to think of it but as long as we take it one day at a time. Hold onto wonderful memories and strive to make new ones with the loved ones that are still with you.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your comments, just had a chance to read them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again this weeks blog just touched me in many of ways. I deal with the piblic as well and I have had some guest thats had recently passed away and it is hard to deal especially if your real close to them even somehow they are part of your family. Awesome Post Girl!! I hope that you had Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete