Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Unit 5

Wow! I really enjoyed this exercise much more than the loving kindness practice. Don’t get me wrong I am all for loving kindness but this subtle mind exercise really hit home and for once I can honestly say my mind was at peace. I have always said that it is hard for me to meditate because of the fact that my mind is too busy and constantly throwing thoughts at me, this time was so different. I don’t know if it was because I really needed some peace and quiet or that I am just learning tools to help my mind. At the beginning of the exercise I was very focused on the rising of my chest as I was told but throughout the exercise I realized that my breath was so low and I could barely hear or feel it. Because of the ocean waves I was visualizing myself on the beach , I know the voice tells you when a thought comes into play just focus on your breath again to bring your mind to silence, I did not do this but just seemed to bring my mind to the beach ( one of my favorite places). I am really excited for myself because this was really the first time I ever experienced true and utter mind silence!!!! I believe when we have wellness in all three aspects ( spiritual, mental, and physical) we can perform at our highest level in life. It is not an easy task to be ‘well’ in everything but with training we can succeed. I also believe that people are generally happier when they can have the mind- body connection complete.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Barefoot Happiness ;)

    I do not see on your blog where you name is published? Anyway, how ironic is it that the exercise this week is ABOUT calming you mind and clearing it of the clutter in order to concentrate when that is exactly what is happening while you are doing the exercise? I had the same experience and I got a laugh out of the irony. You are right it is no easy task to achieve mental clarity!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Jen, I can't figure out how to make changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen that is awesome That you were able to get your mind clear and calm from one of the exercises. I personally was struggling myself. Had a hard time letting my mind just go and let it be at peace. I think this week was a particular challenge for me because I had a lot on my mind. Hard to clear your mind when the holidays are just around the corner and stress from work. I think i need to work more on my mental fitness in general. I should try your visualization of being on the beach. That is one of my favorite spots to relax and unwind. I think I should just go to the beach one day since I live in florida and try the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is excellent that you are able to have so much success with these exercises. I would love to learn your secrets in getting them to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen,
    I was so happy to hear that you enjoyed this week’s subtle mind exercise and found it beneficial. I too found this week’s exercise very beneficial and I am looking forward to doing it again. I became so focused on my breathing, at one point, that when the woman started speaking again, it startled me.
    I can definitely understand your mind turning its focus to beach, especially with the sound of the ocean in the background. I think the more we practice this exercise the closer we will get to the “subtle mind”.
    I had some difficulty with the loving-kindness exercise at first, but the more I practice the easier it is becoming. Maybe this is why my mind was so receptive to the subtle mind exercise…the mind training is working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was difficult when so many things was going on, but when I tried again after everyone was gone to sleep it was relaxing. Like you said it is hard to just breath and empty your mind of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found that this exercise was very beneficial as well since everything that my family as been going through. I really enjoyed reading this weeks blog from you. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete