Monday, December 3, 2012

Unit 4 Loving Kindeness

Two quotes from the exercise that I can relate with are “ the mind is calmer when we give back loving kindness” and “ loving yourself is essential before you love others”. I can relate and whole heartedly agree with these statements. This exercise as interesting to me, I could get calm and visualize most of what was asked, such as visualizing a loved one and their pan or suffering at the times, and I was even able to visualize a bit when asked to send loving kindness to a group of strangers. When asked to visualize all individuals this where it got difficult for me, maybe with more practice this will come easier, but I also felt that the time in between the visualization was a little long. I would visualize sending energies but after a while my mind would begin to wander off. When she (the voice) came back to suggest something new I was able to bring my wandering mind back also. This exercise is a great example of a mental workout as it makes you think of ways to train your mind to excel in loving kindness. It has been proven that you can train your mind to be more compassionate and also train your mind to handle stress better. I believe with mental workouts that you can be a happier, calmer, more giving person. After this exercise I am calmer and more focused, if this is something I am to do everyday I can see how this feeling of love, clam, and focus would stay with you all the time.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I agree that with practice meditation, loving kindness and comfortability in silence becomes more natural and comfortable. I like that you stated one of your most relative quotes was that of " the mind is calmer when we give back loving kindness" because it focuses energy on someone else and their positive tie rather than oneself and all one's stress. Loving kindness is the most pure form of self that someone can give, all the while not expecting anything back in return. Good luck to you this unit and in this unit's quiz!

    -Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The length between was a little long and I had a hard time keeping focused. I did almost fall asleep though. This is the first time one of these exercises has actually relaxed me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I'm glad you benefited from the exercise and are going to keep it up. I benefited from it too. I think the more you practice, the less you will find your mind wandering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, good post! I agree, I was getting kind of bored during the breaks in the exercise. I made it go faster, but that made the lady's voice sound funny, and I couldn't concentrate very well because my kids were all over the place. However, when I was reading about this exercise, I was visualizing it at the same time, and I see how this could be beneficial. It would be a little more difficult to use strangers versus family members or other loved ones, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, I had a much easier time with the Unit 5 exercise!! You really learn somethings about yourself in this process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen,

    I must say I envy those who can really grasp the loving kindness meditation. I had a very difficult time during this exercise! I have a lot going on in my life at the moment. I wish I had more time to really be able to put more time into this class. I don't know if these classes came at a good time or a bad time in my life. LOL! I need what we are learning; but to just be learning it now when I really need it seems to be quiet difficult. Perhaps as the weeks go by, things will get better.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete