Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Unit 10

THEN My physical well-being I will rate at a 5 for the moment, but I also feel it is on the way to getting higher, six months ago I would have put it at a 3, I am in the process of making every effort to bring it higher. I recently starting taking boot camp classes 2/3 times a week at a place called The Power Center in my town, they blend Eastern and Western aspects into their workouts and each work out ends with a great stretch and a semi meditation. I feel FABULOUS afterwards. Because of the recent turn of weather related events in my area I have been unable to go consistently 2/3 times a week for 10 days but am hoping come next Monday I will be in full swing ( as long as my sons school is finally fixed and ready for students). I will say it is addicting. Spiritually I feel I am at 6, I don’t practice any religion on a regular basis but I do thank the universe daily for what we have, I have a semi regular habit of writing down 3-5 things I am grateful for daily (if I don’t pass out in bed before thinking of doing it) and I do feel that I spend a little time each day just to be still in my favorite chair outside no matter how cold. I believe that I have a good sense of inner peace, I hold myself responsible and accountable for my actions and thoughts and I have a strong sense of spirituality. Someone said to me once, religion is for those who believe in hell, spirituality is for those who have been to hell or something along those lines ;). I will never say I have had a bad life but I will say there was a time in my life that was absolute and utter hell, and when I stopped holding myself responsible for other competent adults I came out of it a better person and more at peace because of it. And because of what I experienced I appreciate my life so much more now. Psychologically…. I am STRESSED!!! Ever since the storm ( and I thank the universe daily our home was unscathed) my life has been in upheaval, my mother was staying with us on the pull out in the TV room, my kids were home for 2 weeks, my husband has been working dawn to dusk since Oct 30, when my kids finally went back to school my 5 yo is on a split schedule with the middle school so he is only away from home for 4 hours, my work schedule has been a little nutty, my mom drops laundry off for me to do at her whim and expects us to drop our priorities to help her ( I can’t blame her she did lose her first floor of her home), my week with no power was the least of my concern. I need a week on a beach in the sun just to recoup. My brain is fried so for this moment I put myself at a 4 psychologically. NOW I would put my physical score at about a 6.5 I have really made an effort to incorporate physical activity more into my life. I have been going regularly to my boot camp classes and have really been benefitting from it. When I can’t get to class I go for walks around my town or on the track at our local park. I enjoy the solitude of it. My husband bought me a heavy bag and pink boxing gloves for Christmas so I have also enjoyed punching and kicking on a regular basis, and it is a great stress reliever!! Spiritually I think I have gone down a bit I would put myself at a 4.5, I will find ways to improve this score by finding more time to meditate and bring myself to find more solitude in other way than just walking. I still and always will hold myself accountable for my actions but I think I need to step it up a nitch. Psychologically I am in a much better place than I was at the beginning of the term I would give myself a 7 in this department. This class has really taught me to open and calm my mind and I am so grateful for that. I realize there is only so much I can do and I need to let myself enjoy the little things in life and have more fun. During the next six months I need to focus on the goals that I have set and keep it going. Like a train that rumbles down the track I will do the same and keep on going but always take a break a reflect at the stops.  :) Best of luck to all!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, Your post shows that you certainly understand what this semester has been teaching us. How blessed we are to have the ability to learn these ways to flourishing health but more importantly to want to proactively use them for our own sake. Like you, and probably everyone else, my life is extremely challenging and I would be ready to give up and just be negative but now with all of the tools we have learned about, I find myself trying to use one or many of them at different times of the day. Journeling is something that I am really trying to incorporate in my daily routine, and trying to keep it more positive than negative. Even if something bad happened, I try to find positive ways to cope with it, (meditation) and then find ways to move forward with a forgiving and positive attitude...for my own health sake. I am with you...I don't think a day goes by that I don't wish I was on the beach somewhere for a week or so, but I am finding that reality must be dealt with and now I feel that I have the tools to meet the negative head on and turn it into a positive. This is really big for me. I hope this course has helped others as much as it has helped me.
    Good luck to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and good morning to you Jen, I hope that you are having a wonderful start to such a lovely Sunday morning. I believe that you have written a well developed wrap-up/overview and I like the fact that you added your personal touch of, “I believe that I have a good sense of inner peace, I hold myself responsible and accountable for my actions and thoughts and I have a strong sense of spirituality”(Hussey, 2013). You know Jenn, even though you’re going through a lot, I’m happy that you’re on the right path towards a better and overall healthier you. This is the true underline key message that we all understand; overall improvement and sustain it in the name of a greater health and wellness not only for yourself, but for family, friends, loved ones, and all of God’s children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Your post shows you have definitely benefitted from this term. That is excellent! I think we all have learned to slow down and focus. The things I learned in this class I will keep with me always. I wish you the best of luck!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete